Decluttering can be a daunting task, especially if you have a lot of stuff and don’t know where to start. However, the benefits of decluttering are numerous, including reduced stress, increased productivity, and improved overall well-being. Here are some tips for getting started on your decluttering journey:
- Set a goal: Before you start decluttering, it’s important to have a clear goal in mind. This could be getting rid of a certain number of items, freeing up space in a specific room, or simply feeling more organized. Having a goal will help you stay motivated and focused as you work through your stuff.
- Start small: Don’t try to tackle your entire house in one day. Start with a small space, like a closet or a dresser drawer, and work your way up. This will help you feel more accomplished and motivated to keep going.
- Use the “one year rule”: When deciding whether or not to keep an item, ask yourself if you have used it in the past year. If the answer is no, consider getting rid of it. This rule can be especially helpful for clothing, as it’s easy to accumulate a lot of items that we no longer wear.
- Donate, barter or sell: Instead of tossing items in the trash, consider donating, bartering or selling them. Bartering with your friends can be a great way to find new to you things and clear your brown closet. Not only is this better for the environment, but it can also be a good way to make some extra cash.
- Be ruthless: It can be hard to let go of certain items, especially if they have sentimentali- mental value. However, it’s important to be honest with yourself about what you really need and use. If you haven’t touched an item in a year, chances are you won’t miss it.
- Create a system: Once you’ve decluttered, it’s important to establish a system to keep your space organized. This could be as simple as assigning a designated spot for each item or using storage bins to keep things tidy.
- Keep up with maintenance: Decluttering isn’t a one-time task. Make a commitment to maintain your newly organized space by regularly going through your stuff and getting rid of items you no longer need or use.
Decluttering can be a challenging but rewarding process. It may take some time and effort, but the benefits of a clutter-free space are well worth it. Whether you’re looking to reduce stress, increase productivity, or simply create a more visually appealing space, decluttering is a step in the right direction. If this feels too overwhelming, we have several contractors we use with our clients, prior to starting a project. Reach out to the Chi team to have us help connect you to one of our trusted organizers.